Table of Contents
In this article about Landing Page Optimization I will give you an overview/insight about the concept how to structure a landingpage. This article follows a holistic approach and brings together topics from psychological, technical, scientific and visual design Feel free to comment or ask any question. Happy to help where I can.
How to Conduct a Copy “Teardown”
TEAR-DOWN Element #1:
MECLab´s Conversion Heuristic Formula
C = 4M + 3V + 2(I-F) – 2A
C = Probability of Conversion
M = Motivation (when)
V = Clarity of Value Prop (why)
I = Incentive
F = Friction
A = Anxiety
TEAR-DOWN Element #2:
Cialdini´s 6 Principles of Influence
- Social Proof
- Unity (us vs. Them)
TEAR-DOWN Element #3:
Claude c. Hopkins (1866-1932) was one of the great abvertising pioneers.
“we can not go after thousands of men until we learn how to win one.”
Rule#1: Be Specific
… but a man who makes a specific claim is either telling the truth, or a LIE.
People dont expect the avertiser to LIE.”
Rule#2: Offer Service
- Offer wanted information
- Cite advantages to users (zitieren)
- Give them a sample without any risk
Rule#3: Tell the Full story
- Whether long or short, an advertising story should be reasonably complete
Rule#4: Be a Sales person
- Ask yourself: “would this help a salesman sell the gods? Would it help me sell them if I met the buyer in person?
The B.E.L.T method: Belief
The Belief stage should allow your prospects to identify and align themselves with a problem that your product/service solves and serve as an early introduction to your brand/personality.
TOFU: Brand Awareness, Post Engagement
- Believe campaigns DO NOT need a Call-To-Action
- GOAL: is to raise awareness to a problem that the audience is facing and help them to believe that there is a solution.
AD CONTENT: Niche related content, “edutainment” videos
The B.E.L.T method: Engage
At this stage of the Customer Journey your prospect has been made aware of a problem that your product/service can solve.
They have identified themselves as a potential customer within your original targeting by engaging with your ‘Belief’ ad campaign.
The Engage stage should strengthen your brand positioning and solution in the prospect’s eye through education & entertainment (edutainment). (like a newspaper)
- Purpose: continue educating them on the problem and your solution with the ultimate goal of establishing trust. Better relationship with prospects.
- Present your USP – what differentiates your brand from competitors.
Educate on what differentiates your brand, lead magnets, social proof, and authority pieces
The B.E.L.T method: Lead
The Lead stage provides the audience with clear ‘next-steps’ by leading them to your solution or by offering them something of value in exchange for their information.
Remember our campaigns for the Lead stage should be product/service-focused, and help users actually BUY from you.
Lead magnet, offer, webinar, case studies, testimonials, fact sheets, white page, FAQs, demo video, quizzes
Where would you like to lead your audience (lead magnet, demo, webinar, sales piece)? What ad content and objectives will you use to lead this segment of your audience to your offer or solution?
The B.E.L.T method: Transact
The Transact stage serves up strong calls-to-action and special offers to the segment of the audience that is ready to take action and make a purchase decision.
At this stage of the Customer Journey the prospect should be ready to make a purchase decision. At this point they’ve visited your site, your sales page, and possibly initiated a transaction with you. We are now retargeting them to close the sale.
The B.E.L.T method: Build the campaign
- Set up 4 different ads for BOFU (2-3$ a day)
- For website ads: take conversion ads campaign + landing page campaign (right hand site placement)
Building your funnel: Lead & Transact
Bottom of Funnel (BOFU)
Create segmented target for your offer
• Add to cart
• Visit sales page
• Watch sales video
• Time on Site (custom audience)
• Lead or conversion optimization
Bottom of Funnel for Offer
• Optimize bottom of Funnel
• Video Views
• RHS Ads
• Landing Page Views
• Custom conversion-based ads
• Landing Page View
• Adds to Cart
• Initiate Check Out
• Custom Conversion ‘Time’
Building your funnel: Engage
Middle of Funnel (MOFU)
Next build out your Engage Campaigns. This is where you will test content.
• Retarget your “HOT45”
• Perfect audience for content strategy
• Leverage content distribution
• Video Views
• Landing Page View (BLOG/Content)
• Keep your ‘HOT45’ running!
• Keep relevant content running
• Run Video Views + Engagement + Messenger + Leads Ads for Same Post
• Set it and let it run unless it proves to be irrelevant
• We have 20+ posts running at a time
Building your funnel: Belief
Only start BELIEF marketing once the other B.E.L.T. method stages are setup
Top of Funnel
• These audiences have never seen your brand
• This will be ‘Core’ & ‘LAL’ audience targeting/testing
• The BELIEF budget can start out small with video views & brand awareness ads
• Start and stop traffic (Testing)
• 1:1 ROAS is a GREAT start
• Test Slow, you have back up!
• Most companies run at as loss TOFU
• Higher ROAS can & will happen with a dialed in offer
Advertising & Content: Ad Content
The ad formats you can use depend on your advertising objective.
We recommend using images of your product or brand.
Adding movement to your ads can make them more eye-catching in News Feed.
Slideshow ads combine multiple images or videos, text and sound. You can use between 3 to 10 images or a single video in a slideshow ad.
Carousel ads allow you to showcase up to 10 images or videos within a single ad, each with its own link.
The collection format includes an Instant Experience and makes it easier for people to discover, browse and purchase products and services from their phone in a visual and immersive way.
Instant Experience is a fullscreen experience that opens after someone clicks your ad on a mobile device. Create an Instant Experience to visually highlight your brand or products and services.
Content Ideas: Pages To Watch
BuzzSumo (buzzsumo.com) – Analyze what content works best for your competitors, searchable by topic/keyword
Google Alerts (google.com/alerts) – Setup notifications for trending sites/articles to be sent to you based upon keywords that you setup
• Good for actual reference values when you write a post and you want to have an accordance
Google Image Search – Type in a search term to Google and look at the image results to see what images are relevant to the term that you are searching for.
Content & Posting Strategies
Posting 4 times daily:
• Post a min of 4 posts per day to the Business page.
• Suggested times to post 6 am, 11 am, 4 pm, 8 pm (all local times)
• Consistency of posting & Congruency is key for relevance & engagement
Suggested ad and organic content strategies:
• 10x4x1 – 10 fun/interesting posts that are relevant to your audience, 4 more
informative posts, and then 1 strong call to action post.
• 10x10x4 – 10 FAQ’s, 10 SAQ’s, 4 WAN’s (Why Act Now)
Application of Concept
• Setup Google Alerts (google.com/alerts) for at least 3 keywords that would relate to your audience and the product/service that you provide.
• Look at Pages to Watch, BuzzSumo.com, and Google Image Search to get more ideas for your ad content, videos, and
Personal feedback about Product messaging and Facebook Ads course:
Momoko Price and Curt Maly, both did a really good job in my opinion and explained all the necessary topics and the concept about product messaging and how to run a FB-Ads campaign very well. It was easy to follow their thoughts and the sound settings was also good.1